A friend of mine contacted me from the Silicon Valley.
He is working on an old/new way to get answers from the interweb : humans.
We all know Google, Naver Q&A and Yahoo! Q&A. But this is an experience you need to try.
I was busy and not very reactive to his requests to try it. But it’s interesting. Just a beginning. But with huge implications.
The App is simply called “Questions – Ask and Answer“.
How it works
- Ask a question : you record a short video asking something, give it a one work name and wait for answers
- Answer a question : choose a title or a thumbnail that catched your attention and record a short video of you answering
- For example : I asked “What is the best month to visit California?” and someone answered within 3 hours.
What I like
- Easy and very well adapted to a mobile experience. Would not imagined use this on desktop.
- Nice to see the face of the people answering your. You can extract more information from facial expression than any textual response.
- Fast answers
- Lots of questions to answer
- Quality of answers may vary but you can ask questions you would not think of trying to fit on Google keywords.
What could be improved
- Sometimes you don’t want to show your face, that’s one of the success of the Internet.
- Level of questions and short time to answer makes it hard to see any profound answers or debates
- Even for factual questions, it’s always faster to type on a search engine
- UX and design is not perfect for the moment (dark theme), making the experience more awkward than necessary
- Not a lot of users for the moment and no way to filter questions really.
They are just starting. But give it a try and tell me what you think.
There are a lot of interesting User Experience challenges here.